The R&D&I framework in the Basque Country is driven by Science Technology and Innovation Plan 2020 (PCTI), a smart specialisation strategy to drive the Sustainable and Economic Development of the Basque Country. It is the result of a participative process involving interministerial cooperation of the Basque Government and the stakeholders represented on the Basque Science, Technology and Innovation Council (Provincial Councils, the three Basque universities, Tecnalia and IK4, business representatives, Jakiunde, Innobasque and Ikerbasque). There has also been input from European stakeholders and key figures in the field of science, innovation and research.
The plan envisages an innovation and research policy based on smart specialisation and enhancing the efficiency of the Science, Technology and Innovation System through the four strategic lines:
1) Driving the smart specialisation strategy, by means of science, technology and innovation to address the social challenges of the Basque Country.
2) Strengthening the industrial leadership by means of private-public partnership.
3) Enhancing the excellence of the Science, Technology and Innovation System.
4) Guaranteeing the development of human capital in science, technology and innovation.
Furthermore, special mention should be made of a commitment with the Plan to gender equality as a horizontal aspect (by means of giving momentum to mainstreaming). The strategic lines will be deployed in six operational objectives until 2020.
RIS 3 PRIORITIES
The Euskadi 2020 PCTI sets three strategic priorities:
- Energy (electricity, oil, gas and renewable energies). It is a commitment to activities related to extracting, transforming, transporting and distributing different energy sources, and particularly to renewable energies, such as offshore wind power, where the Basque Country seeks to be an international benchmark.
- Advanced manufacturing (aeronautics, automotive, shipbuilding and railways, machine tools, capital goods and metal industries). It is, in short, a commitment to the “Basque Industry 4.0.” strategy.
- Bio-sciences and health. The objective is to consolidate the high-level scientific-technology capacities (convergence of facilitator technologies, micro-nano-bio-tic) and the diversification of industrial companies. The application of biosciences to health drives the development of the health sector, based on a powerful and efficient public network with innovative and research capacity and driving new developments.
And four opportunity areas or “territories":
- Agri-food industry more closely linked to sustainable development and to the human environment. Food safety and legislation. Innovation and technology applied to food and processes. Food chain sustainability. Aquaculture. Culinary and catering industry.
- Territorial planning and urban regeneration: business and technological developments based on advanced services in the areas: Planning aimed at designing smart territories. Urban regeneration as part of smart cities Constitution.
- Leisure, entertainment and culture. Cultural industries and language industry. Creative industries (digital leisure, multimedia, etc.). Videogames.
- Specific activities relating to ecosystems. Water decontamination Contaminated soils regeneration and recovery. Monitoring environmental risk.
If you wish more detailed information, you may download the SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION PLAN 2020
Ikerboost, the Basque Science and Technology Observatory, is managed by Ikerbasque as a diagnostic and enhancement tool for the scientific community of the Basque Country.
Ikerboost involves a wide range of indicators based on diverse sources of information, both at a basque level, as well as at that of the Spanish State and internationally, enabling a characterisation of the Basque scientific community and its quantitative and qualitative comparison with other countries. The main results analyzed by Ikerboost are published every year in the Science Report of the Basque Country, which shows the current state of and trends in scientific research activity in Euskadi.
For inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com