The Basque Science, Technology and Innovation Network is composed by the Science System, the Technology System and Innovation Support System. The Network covers practically all organisations and institutional agents that carry out activities related to the creation and spread of information in the Basque Country, in particular those that support the business enterprise processes which later drive forward a large part of the country’s economic and social development.
The Basque Technology Network (RVT) was instituted in 1997 in the framework of the Science and Technology Plan 1997-2000. Its aim is to foster and better co-ordinate the supply and transfer of scientific and technological knowledge developed by accredited non-profit institutions to the Basque productive sector.
In 2005, the scope of the RTV Technology Network was broadened and changed its name into the Basque Science, Technology and Innovation Network (RVCTI) which presently regroups more than 100 non-profit institutions including principally:
- 14 Technology Centres and the foundations that regroup them (Tecnalia and IK4);
- over 35 intermediary institutions involved in knowledge and technology diffusion;
- 4 co-operative research centres (CICs)
- 9 basic excellence research centres (BERCs)
- 3 public research centres
- 2 health research institutes
- 9 higher education institutions
- over 40 enterprise research units
- 6 certification and testing laboratories;
- 8 technological parks.
- 3 singular agents (Innobasque, Euskalit, Ikerbasque)