- Physical Sciences
(Administrative headquartes) Edificio Plaza Bizkaia Alameda de Urquijo, 36 – 1ª planta 48011 Bilbao Tel.: (34) 944 035 600 Fax: (34) 944 035 699 email@example.com
Please contact infrastructure coordinators
bimep is designed for testing and demonstrating prototype devices for harnessing ocean energy in terms of their safety and economic and technical viability prior to their full-scale commercial development. The site is located in one of the areas of highest energy potential on the Basque coast (21 kW/m), very well communicated and with no impact on surrounding beaches or environmentally protected areas. Once their viability has been proven, the technology readiness level of these devices will be considered as sufficient to go ahead with their mass production to provide the population with a clean and endless resource for generating electricity: energy from our seas.
ONSHORE INFRASTRUCTURE AND EQUIPMENT
- Subsea cable landing point.
- Substation equipped with 2 20 MW 13.2/132 kV of 25 MWA transformers with protection and control panels.
- Electrical installation: from the landing point to the substation (4 x 13.2kV / 5MW), and from there to the power grid (1 x 132kV/20MW).
- Monitoring and control system.
- Research and Data Centre.
Offices for WEC manufacturers with equipment under test, and for personnel of the Centre.
Data monitoring system
OFFSHORE INFRASTRUCTURE AND EQUIPMENT
- Marking buoys delimiting the test area.
- An oceanographic buoy equipped with several different sensors to monitor atmospheric and wave conditions and provide information on the marine climate.
- Subsea power and control cables (4 cables of 5MW each) connecting the 4 berths with the onshore substation.
- Converters and electrical connection systems: 4 lines of 13.2kV/5 MW. Several WEC’s could be connected to each berth.
- Subsea interconnectors. Each WEC is connected by refloating the dynamic cable and attaching it to the umbilical cable.
bimep provides manufacturers of ocean energy devices with the opportunity to install their equipment in open sea conditions for demonstration and operational (power generation) purposes or for testing. The characteristics of the sea in this part of the Bay of Biscay are ideal for testing the effectiveness of new wave energy devices and technologies being developed by companies throughout Europe.
bimep is sited near the village of Armintza-Lemoiz (Bizkaia), The sea zone covers a total surface area of 5.3 km2. The nearest point to land is 1,700 m away.
Key characteristics of the platform include: 20 MW of power 4 connection points for WECs. Easy WEC installation, testing and operation. An associated research centre bimep is equipped with modern subsea infrastructure for onshore grid connection and a comprehensive remote monitoring and control system for the systematic compilation and analysis of data on the systems being tested at sea.